The Priscilla Project works to achieve healthy birth outcomes by empowering socially isolated, at-risk women as they go through the process of pregnancy, labor, delivery, and the postpartum period. Volunteer mentors, community health workers, and on-staff doulas work with mothers-to-be to reach a healthy birth weight for their babies (5.5 lbs or larger), have a full-term pregnancy, and encourage breastfeeding.
Women in the program receive education in their own language and develop a birth plan with a doula. Doulas are able to advocate for clients based on their individual wishes. Priscilla Project clients also attend mentor/mentee events, where they learn about other services available to them in Buffalo.
Services provided by the Priscilla Project
- Assessment by a community health worker
- Education on prenatal nutrition and baby care, doula services, and birth plan development in native language
- Referrals to donations centers for clothing and baby supplies
- Social outings and support events
- Opportunity to be matched with a volunteer mentor
- Opportunity to be enrolled in Parents as Teachers program, which provides support up to age 2
- In-house interpretation services
- Breastfeeding support and weekly Baby Café
- Perinatal and postpartum depression screening
Virtual Baby Café
Anyone is welcome to attend Baby Café on any day, but language support is available for specific languages at the days/times listed below. If a woman would like support from the Baby Café and speaks a language not listed below, additional language support can be arranged.
Baby Café is held on Zoom at the following times:
11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. – Karen
11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. – Burmese
2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. – English
Additional information on the Priscilla Project is available in our brochure.
The Priscilla Project gladly accepts donations. We request that donated items are new or very gently used. If you have items that are not listed below that you think might be accepted, please call 716-886-0771 to check with a member of our staff.
To arrange a donation drop-off, please call or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Priscilla Project accepts:
- Baby clothes (newborn to 6 months – nothing ripped or stained, please)
- Receiving blankets
- Baby blankets
- Diapers and wipes
- Baby thermometers
- Car seats (must be legal – manufactured within 5 years of donation date)
- High chairs and strollers
- Baby books in languages other than English (especially Nepali, Swahili, Arabic, Burmese, Karen, and Kinyarwanda)
The Priscilla Project does not accept:
- Baby bottles
- Maternity clothes
- Baby food